Are you facing a legal situation? There are a number of times in life when when people need to find an attorney. If you are in a position to need to do this, you need to make sure you get the right lawyer for your needs.
- You need to determine when you need an attorney. There are times when you think you need an attorney and you do not and there may be times when you do not think you need one and you do. If you have been arrested, you know you need a good criminal defense lawyer but not everyone realizes how helpful experienced divorce lawyers can be.
- Get the right kind of lawyer. Just like medical doctors, attorneys specialize. You would never go to a pediatrician for a broken leg and you should not talk to a family lawyer about your patent protection. Once you have decided you do need the services of a lawyer, you need to make sure you talk to lawyers who have the experience in the kind of case you have. Divorces are very unique but if you are looking at getting one and have children, you should seek out lawyers who have experience dealing with child custody and child support issues.
- Talk to your friends and family. The best way to get any decent products or services is to get a personal recommendation from someone you know and trust. Given the litigious nature of our society and the high number of arrests and divorces, the chances are good that you know at least one person who has needed the services of an attorney at one time or another. Ask the people you know how they found their lawyer and what they thought about working with them. You may not go with the same attorney or law firm as the people you know but this will give you a place for you to start.
- Talk to other lawyers you have worked with. If you are going into a divorce, you will not want to use the lawyer who helped you with your patent application but you can talk to the patent attorney about who they might recommend in the world of family law. It never hurts to ask the lawyers you know about the lawyer you need for your situation. If you already have some lawyers in mind, ask the lawyers you know what they think of them. You want to find a lawyer who has a good reputation.
- Take advantage of the free first consultation. Most law firms give people a first time consultation for free. This is a good way and time for the law firm to get to know the prospective client and for you to get to know them. Make sure you get all of your questions answered. If the law firm does not want to take the time to answer your questions before you are a client, they will not have the time once you have hired them. Here are some questions you should ask the attorneys:
- How long have you practiced law? How long have you worked in this kind of law? You need to find a lawyer with enough experience at the kind of law you need help with to be effective.
- What made you pick this kind of law to practice? You want someone who is passionate about the kind of law that they practice. You do not want someone who is “phoning it in.”
- Who will be working on this case? Most law firms rely on legal assistants and paralegals for a lot of their work. You should ask about these people and get to meet them.
- Will your main lawyer be available when you have questions? You will have questions at various points during the process and you may not always be able to to talk directly to your attorney but they should be available when you really need them.
- What is the billing structure? Every law firm has their own way of billing clients. You need to understand and be totally comfortable with the law firms billing policies. You also need to understand what the charges you will pay are.
if you take your time you will find the right lawyer.